Google Drive Storage Limits for Students
All student accounts will have a storage limit of 5GB starting on May 13th for all data in Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos.
In July 2022, Google will enforce new pooled storage limits. In preparation for these changes, we're assigning storage limits across all accounts to ensure our available storage is shared appropriately.
Before May 13th, review your storage use and delete unnecessary files if needed:
- To review how much storage you use and delete large or unnecessary files in Drive, go to Drive Storage. Delete large unneeded files and then permanently delete them.
- To search for and delete large or unnecessary emails, follow the instructions for Gmail in Manage files in your Google Drive storage.
After May 13th, you need to stay under your storage limit for your Drive, Gmail, and Photos data to keep access to these services. If your account runs out of storage, your services will be disrupted until you free up more space.
- Drive—You won’t be able to sync or upload new files. You will not be able to create new files in Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings, and Forms. Until you reduce the amount of storage you use, neither you nor anyone else can edit or copy your affected files. Syncs stop between your computer's Google Drive folder and My Drive
- Photos—You won’t be able to add more or back up existing photos or videos.
- Gmail–You'll still be able to send and receive email.