History of Our School
The town of North Andover purchased 15 acres of land in the late 1980s from the Calzetta family. The Sargent School was built on the fields of the Calzetta farm. On the land where the school now stands, apple and peach trees once grew. In 1995 the doors opened to students making Sargent the first new elementary school in North Andover in 38 years.
Annie L. Sargent
Annie L. Sargent was a teacher. Annie Laura Sargent began her teaching at Johnson High, North Andover's first high school, in 1878 following her graduation as class valedictorian. In 1906, she was appointed Associate Principal, a position which in effect was the executive post in the school. In 1921, she was named Principal of Johnson High, a position she then held in name as well as fact. She retired in 1932 after 54 years of service to the community and children of North Andover. After her retirement from the school system, she was appointed and then elected to the North Andover School Committee. She was the first woman elected to a public office in North Andover.
The school is named not only to honor Annie Laura Sargent, but to honor all the teachers, educators, and staff that comprise the North Andover School System.
Sargent Elementary Today
The Sargent School has approximately 605 students and 65 staff members. You can find them in 26 classrooms, several learning centers, various therapists' rooms, the music room, gym, art room, library, cafetorium, nurse's office and guidance office.
Sargent Elementary School
300 Abbott Street
North Andover, MA 01845
978-725-3673 - Main Number
978-396-9443 Main Office Fax
978-738-1302 - School Nurse
978-794-1895 - Food & Nutrition